The principal and largest town in the peninsula, Buncrana sits prominently on the shore of Lough Swilly, which translates, from Gaelic into the very appropriate “Lake of Shadows”. The importance of Lough Swilly to Buncrana during WWI became evident when Admiral Jellicoe moved his grand fleet from Scapa Flow to Lough Swilly. The Clan O’Dochartaigh has had a long affiliation with this town. The historic Ó’Dochartaigh’s Keep at the entrance to Swan Park sits beside Buncrana Castle, which is accessible via the Crana Bridge. This is also the starting point of the costal walk to Fr Hegarty’s Rock.Nearby is the location where the famous Irish revolutionary, Theobald Wolfe Tone, was captured on board a French warship during the 1798 rebellion. The town today has an abundance of bars and restaurants, nearby beaches and a children’s play area.