This small village on the border of Donegal and Derry has a Church of Ireland built by the Harts of Kilderry House which dates from 1737. The house itself, part Palladian in design, dates from the 18th century. Muff is in the parish of Iskaheen or in Gaelic, Uisce Chaoin, “pure waters” - because of a holy well near an ancient church. This parish has numerous famous historical connections. One is the ruin of an old church, which lies outside the village opposite the existing Catholic Church of St. Patrick. This old ruin with its graveyard is reputed to date from the 8th century. The second famous item in this parish is the plaque inserted in the wall of this same old church, which reads: “Eoghan, Prince of Inishowen, Son of Niall of the Nine Hostages, died 465 of grief for his brother Conall. Baptised by (Saint) Patrick and buried in Uisce Chaoin.” The third is the “Giant Stone,” locally known as the “Morton God Dolmen”. It is a collapsed dolmen or an ancient burial place, thought to be the largest in Inishowen. Such monuments were used as graves for chieftains and also as “altars” for pagan worship.
This error message is only visible to WordPress admins
There has been a problem with your Instagram Feed.